Marriott Timeshare Really Looks Good in Green
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Marriott Vacation Club Timeshare wears green about as well as anyone in the timeshare sales business today. It seems that we are always passing along updates about the environmentally responsible actions of Marriott hotels and Marriott Vacation Club (Marriott timeshare).
This week, Marriot Vacation Club announced that Marriott timeshare resorts have begun replacing those plastic door key cards with cards made of 50 percent recycled materials. How much difference will this effort make to our environment? When you go through some 1.2 million key cards a year, as Marriott does, the savings amounts to approximately 4 tons of plastic that doesn’t wind up in landfills.
Additionally, Marriott Vacation Club timeshare has switched from using disposable plastic pens to pens that are made of 74 percent pre-consumer recycled materials and that also last longer before they need to be replaced.
Dirk Schavemaker, senior vice president of resort operations for Marriott Vacation Club says, “Continuing to eliminate more waste from landfills and find innovative ways to ‘green’ our supply chain only strengthens our commitment to being an industry leader in environmental stewardship. We firmly believe that it is our responsibility to demonstrate how responsible resort management can be a positive force for the environment.”
Other Steps Marriott Timeshare is Taking with Our Environment in Mind:
- More than 800,000 pieces of Marriott’s informational literature distributed to timeshare owners and guests are now printed on Forest Stewardship Council certified paper purchased from an FSC certified paper merchant.
- More than 50 Marriott timeshare resorts have installed energy efficient lighting, low-flow showerheads and toilets, and are participating in Marriott’s recycling program.
- Every Marriott Vacation Club timeshare resort has its own green team to oversee environmental efforts at that location.
- A senior level green committee leads division-wide environmental efforts at Marriott Vacation Club International’s corporate headquarters.
To learn more about the role Marriott is playing in Prince Charles’ commitment to Save the Rain Forests, visit this link: http://www.rainforestsos.org/partners/wrapper/marriott
And be sure to check in on Marriott timeshare and Marriott hotel’s other green initiatives through their “green” Twitter account dedicated solely to environmental news: @Marriottgreen.
Recent The Timeshare Authority Blogs on Marriott’s Environmental Conscious Actions
- Three Marriott Timeshare Resorts Earn Special ‘Green’ Designation as Environmentally Conscious Resorts
- Part II: Marriott Timeshare Resorts Earn Special ‘Green’ Designation from State of Florida
- Part III: Marriott Timeshare Resorts Recognized by State of Florida with Green Lodging Program Designation