British Crash Course in Timeshare Vacation Travel

Do you know that there is no maximum speed limit for driving in Germany, but there is a minimum speed of 61 kph (roughly 38 miles per hour)? Are you aware that you are required by law to carry a reflective jacket and a red triangle in your car when driving in France? Or that in Bloomfield, Connecticut, it is illegal to eat while driving? The point is, motor vehicle regulations and driving laws vary worldwide, and a ticket or even worse, an automobile accident, is a fast way to take the fun out of your summer holiday or timeshare vacation.

Why British Travel Concerns are Elevated

Breaking Travel News reports that this year especially, Brits may be setting themselves up for traffic accidents and police tickets as they plan their summer travels. With the global economy still challenging and both unpredictable volcanic ash and workers strikes at British Airlines impacting air travel, many more British vacationers and timeshare owners than usual will be driving rather than flying for their summer holiday.

Research from AXA Insurance shows that an estimated 1.1 million Brits will take to the highways this summer as part of vacation travel. Craig Staniland, AXA Insurance director for motor explains, “…there are some very serious misunderstandings that could lead to breaking the law or a serious accident …we would advise any Brits taking their car abroad to spend some time making sure they understand any local regulations and checking they have adequate insurance in place should the worst happen.”

And the Brits are not alone in facing the perils of driving in unfamiliar territory. The World Health Organization cites over 300 traffic-accident related deaths annually to US citizens driving internationally along with thousands of injuries.

Here are 5 helpful tips for any vacationer behind the wheel:

  • US citizens should check the website for the US embassy or consulate in every country in which they plan to drive.
  • Recognize that many countries have zero tolerance for drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol with severe criminal penalties.
  • Laws that regulate cell phone use while driving vary from country to country, state to state, and city to city.
  • Most US auto insurance does not cover you when driving internationally and the policies sold as part of car rental in many countries offer only minimal coverage. Consider buying additional insurance.
  • Some countries recognize a US driver license as valid for driving, but over 150 countries accept an International Driving Permit (IDP) which can be obtained from either the AAA (American Automobile Association) or the National Auto Club

No matter where you are in the world, don’t let your drive-to timeshare vacation, or your fly-and-then drive-to timeshare vacation be spoiled because you didn’t take a little extra time to familiarize yourself with the rules of the road.

Additional Vacation and Timeshare Resources: